Packing is an essential part of the moving process that can either make or break the success of your move. Smart and effective packing will not only help you protect and transport your household belongings, but will also save you a lot of time and energy when it comes to moving in. Rushing and cutting corners may save you time in the short-run, however, it often also leads to additional stress and mishaps when settling into your new home. So, this month’s blog will discuss the most common mistakes to avoid when packing!
Although there are several things involved with moving, packing your belongings should be at the top of your priority list. You may feel as though you have plenty of time until moving day, however, time flies and moving day will come sooner than you think. So, don’t put off packing your things – it will only lead to stress and scrambling as you get closer to the big day.
We recommend beginning your packing process at least 3 to 4 weeks in advance of your moving date. This will give you ample time to organize your belongings, get the supplies you need, and pack everything into their dedicated boxes and spaces. Start with a few hours a day, along with the rooms and items that you use the least. That way, you’ll have your rarely used items packed and put away first, and the belongings you use most frequently available until you’re ready to pack them away. Try to pack up as much as you can and only leave out the items that are needed for your daily routine!
2) Packing Without A Purpose
One of the biggest mistakes anyone can make is packing without a purpose. When it comes to packing, planning is everything and winging it will only result in disorganized chaos. Below are some general packing tips that will help you stay organized throughout the entire process:
- Create To-Do Lists: complete with dates to work toward. For example – pack up the basement from days 1-4, the garage from days 4-5, dedicate a full day or two to each bedroom, and so on.
- Label Each Box By Room and Its Contents: that way, you’ll know exactly which box belongs in which room/space when moving into your new home.
- Pack Like Items Together: such as clothing, so when it comes to unpacking, you’ll be able to put together your entire closet with just a few boxes. The same goes for kitchen supplies such as pots and pans, utensils, and dishes.
- Pack Effectively: start by packing each box with a layer of padding (packing paper, plastic wrap, newspaper) and place the heaviest items at the bottom and the most fragile items at the top. Also, make sure to individually wrap fragile items with a few layers of packing paper to keep them safe and protected.
- Pack an Essentials Box: with must-have items such as electronics, important documents, toothbrushes, and a change of clothes that you’ll keep with you in your car.
3) Low Supply Stock
There’s no such thing as too many packing supplies. In fact, the more the better! Before you begin packing, make sure you have all the supplies you need including:
- Small, Medium, and Large Boxes
- Wardrobe Boxes and Sturdy China Boxes
- Packing Materials – Packing Paper, Air Bubble Wrapping, and Plastic Wrap
- Quality Packing Tape, Labels, and Permanent Markers
Make sure to buy lots of supplies, trust us, you’ll thank yourself later. One of the most irritating things that can happen is being on a roll with packing your belongings and suddenly running out of supplies and having to stop to head out and buy more. So, purchase in bulk and you’ll be all set for the entire packing process!
4) Saying No to Help
Whether it’s packing, getting organized, or having someone watch your children, an extra hand is always a great help. If you need full packing support and would rather leave it to the professionals, then Deluxe Moving can do the job for you! We have plenty of experience and expertise to ensure a successful, stress-free move for you and your loved ones. Not to mention, lots of packing techniques that will keep your belongings safe and protected throughout the entire packing and moving process.
We hope this blog provided you with valuable insight on the most common mistakes to avoid when packing! If you need extra support packing and moving your household belongings, Deluxe Moving has you covered! We offer Full Packing and Moving services that can take care of your entire move for you. Head to our services page for more information about our services or contact our team to get started on a successful and stress-free move. We look forward to working with you!
Want more moving tips and advice? Don’t hesitate to contact our team with any questions you may have regarding the moving process. Whether you’re moving across the street or to a brand new city, choosing Deluxe Moving & Storage for your move is the best thing you can do to ensure a safe and successful moving experience for you and your loved ones. Don’t forget to fill out our FREE, no-obligation quote form, and leave the work to us!